ACE-1 Data WorkshopSummary
24-27 June 1996
Seventy five participants from 8 countries took part in the first
ACE-1 data workshop. The main goals of this workshop were to exchange
data, to begin the process of integrating data sets and data analysis,
and to plan an AGU special session and manuscript schedule. The
workshop began with an overview of the data collected on each
platform. The various research groups then presented their initial
data sets in a three day poster session. Eight computer terminals
were networked to the ACE-1 data base to demonstrate the capabilities
of the UCAR-CODIAC system and to allow researchers to work with
the 81 data sets that have been submitted to date. Most of the
week was spent in small working groups where research teams were
organized to directly address the ACE-1 scientific questions.
The working groups and their conveners included:
- Aerosol characterization
- Ground based (Quinn)
- Cape Grim (Sievering)
- Aircraft (Clarke)
- Atmospheric dynamics (Lenschow)
- Aerosol nucleation and growth (McMurry)
- Atmospheric photochemistry (Davis)
- Seawater species and processes (Griffiths)
- Air mass characterization (Whittlestone)
- Lagrangian experiments (Huebert)
- Radiative Column closure (Clarke)
- C-130 (Huebert)
- Defining baseline conditions (Whittlestone)
Reports from these working groups are being sent to the ACE-1
E-mail list and will be included in the ACE-1 homepage (http://saga.pmel.noaa.gov/ace1.html).
On the final day of the workshop the following topics were discussed:
ACE-1 Scientific Steering Committee
- Abstract deadline is September 11. We are anticipating
approximately 30-40 ACE-1 presentations.
- ACE-1 meeting will be held on the Saturday before AGU (December
14) to review the status of data reduction and analysis. The afternoon
will be devoted to small working groups.
- The second ACE-1 data workshop will be held in Hilo Hawaii.
We are currently considering the week of March 3. If anyone knows
of any conflicts with this week, please notify a member of the
ACE-1 Scientific Steering Committee as soon as possible.
- An April 1997 deadline was set for manuscript submission to
an ACE-1 JGR special issue. Abstracts from ACE-1 publications
and reports will be included on the ACE-1 homepage.
- . An ACE-1 special session will be held at the IAMAS meeting
in Melbourne, Australia during the period of 1-9 July 1997.
- Measurement intercomparisons. The UCAR-OFPS will make a list
of times when the various ACE-1 platforms were in the vicinity
of one another. This list will be put on the ACE-1 home page and
in the ACE-1 data base. Researchers are encouraged to intercompare
their measurements with those on the other platforms. The platform
coordinators will be responsible for compiling the intercomparisons.